Friday, February 22, 2008

Month Two

12.5
I'm finally starting to feel a little gross. It's kind of reassuring to have a sign of pregnancy beyond all the peed-on sticks. Yeah, I saved them. You have a comment about that?

I have a craving today for gooey macaroni and cheese. But I'm not sure it counts, because it's not like I've ever NOT wanted gooey mac and cheese. So I don't know. I do know that I got two boxes of Annie's Deluxe at the store. Oh boy.

Later... Ooogh. It takes 20 minutes to make a box of Annie's Deluxe. It takes 3 minutes to inhale a third of it. Now I don't feel so good.

12.10
I'm trying to stay detached and accepting about this process, especially before we see a heartbeat. Last week, feeling fairly well, I was calmly thinking that I'll just take it as it comes and experience whatever happens day by day. This attitude is much harder to maintain with nausea and fatigue and epic gas to contend with. This morning I was thinking, "Feeling crappy sucks. I better get a really awesome baby out of this. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to be so pissed." Maybe I should start meditating.

Here's what might work for nausea: Drinking ginger tea or lemon soda.
Here's what's not working: Imagining I'm drinking lemon soda.
Since we don't have any lemon soda, maybe I should make some ginger tea.
Later... It works! Ginger tea works!

12.16
My favorite food these days is cold, congealed oatmeal. No joke. I flat out love it. I'd rather have it for breakfast than a fancy pastry or eggs and bacon. I can only get half a bowl of oatmeal down at a time, so I eat half hot and half cold, later. It is fantastic.

12.21
First ultrasound! There are two hearts in me! An increase of 100%! Crazy! And also, the baby looks like a lump of oatmeal, which seems appropriate.

12.28
I've gotten used to the nausea, and it goes away as soon as I eat something. My favorite thing these days is a bowl of cheerios right before bed. Just the smell of them makes my mouth water.

My folks were here for Christmas, and they said their style of pregnancy and childbirth was Clueless Hippie, which worked out really well for them. My style, apparently, is Over-Informed Geek Girl (no surprise).

Earlier today, I said I'd gotten used to the nausea. Well, I should amend that to: I've gotten used to dealing with nausea when I'm at home. Shortly after I wrote that, I made the mistake of leaving the house without proper preparation, and so found myself marching around on errands, not really sick enough to give up and go home, but plenty sick enough to wear a truly wretched look on my face and hate everyone who dared cross my path. I really have to make myself a bag that holds a tiny bottle of lemon soda and three triscuits. I know, a flask! Every pregnant lady should carry a flask. Although, by the time I look more pregnant, I'll probably be over the nausea, so I wouldn't get much real shock value out of it.

No comments: