Friday, February 22, 2008

Month One

In an ironic twist, I got pregnant right as my Month of Every Day Posting began back in November. Trying to come up with something to say every day without talking about that newsiest and most distracting of life events was a challenge. But it was all for the best, because now I have the chance to edit my stream-of-consciousness journal with the benefit of a little hindsight. So, read on! Catch up! But first a warning: it might be edited, but it's still the navel-gazing reflections of a woman who's pregnant for the first time. Grains of salt? Please?

11.12.07
It looks like my first symptom of pregnancy is the development of the legendary Mothervision. Usually manifested as "eyes in the back of your head," mine is more like "can make out the faintest of pale blue lines on a pregnancy test." Yesterday, only I could really see it. Today, both of us can see it, but it's still pretty faint. Probably only visible to people who are genetically related to the line-producing blob. I'm cautiously over the moon.

11.16
Over the last three days, I've taken four more pregnancy tests. By now, the line is probably visible from space. Hello, dear parasite.

11.17
It's November. Therefore, I'm chilly, and I find myself browsing newborn legwarmers and hats and cozy little shirts online. Forgetting, apparently, that if all goes well and the baby comes in July, it'll be plenty warm for at least a couple months. Maybe I should just go put on another sweater.

11.23
I'm traveling for Thanksgiving, and still feeling very well, although everyone is clearly ready to be helpful and supportive if I start feeling feeble. They were all happy when I decided to take a nap in the middle of the day yesterday, although I think I was just Transcontinental Travel Tired, not Pregnant Tired.

My main inclination is to cook all day, quietly, by myself. This is the perfect mood to be in on the day after Thanksgiving, when there's soup to be made and everyone else is happily lolling on the couch.

No comments: